Skip to main content

Grave Wraith (77097)

It’s sunday and time for a new miniature! In the last couple of days, I finished the Grave Wraith (77097) from the Haunts Set. I had a lot of fun with this one, and tried out some new materials on the base. So here we are: Mr. Green Wraith!

Again, as with the other green translucent Bones miniatures, my goal is to achieve some contrasts. So I used a wash and drybrushed the figure. But I get ahead of myself.

Basing and Priming

After the standard cleaning protocol, I based the miniature on a 30mm round base. It was a bit larger compared to a standard Bones figure, but that’s why I bought different base sizes, anyway. Again, I glued two different sands on the base and primed it with Vallejo Black Primer.

Painting

As with the Spirit and the Banshee, I did a base coat of brush-on Vallejo Satin Varnish to be able to paint on the transparent plastic. A couple of hours later, I washed the figure with Vallejo Model Color (MC) Dark Green Ink.  This time, I believe, my water-ink-ratio was better than with the other two minis. The wash dried better and stayed, where I wanted it to dry.

I painted the tombstone and the sword in black. At first, I thought the sword would look good in black, but I decided to give the blade a green-metallic color (MC “Metallic Grey”, MC “Lime Green” and a little Metal Medium). I painted the tombstone (also used a black wash on it and drybrushed it with a lighter grey tone I can’t remember) and the skull at the base and did the usual procedure to design the base in an earthy, desaturated look.

The last step of painting was highlighting the one visable hand of the wraith with MC “Lime Green” and drybrushing the robes (also with MC “Lime Green” on the first pass, MC “Green Grey” at the second pass).

Finishing Touches

After painting, I sealed the model with Army Painter Anti-Shine Varnish. Then, I tried to play around with some new basing material for the base. I created a little tussock of yellow grass behind the tombstone and glued some Iceland Moss on, which was painted later to resemble some brushwood with thrones or something (MC “Chocolate Brown” and highlighting with MC “Dark Sand”).¬†Overall, I really enjoyed painting this model and I really like the way it turned out. I hope, you like it, too.